Friday, December 10, 2010

Toronto Day Two: Stumblin' into Canada's Times Square

, and how I quickly booked it out of there.

But I suppose it would be wise to completely backtrack to the beginning of my day. Which started around 12:30PM! I know this isn't supposed to be a vacation so much as a job hunting expedition, but damn It feels great to stay up too late and sleep in past noon. It didn't feel so good today because I actually had to get things done. I didn't luck out with setting up interviews before I left for Seattle, so today was my "hand deliver resumes along Church Street and hopefully bump into an editor" day. No editor bumping, but I did got to see another great deal of the city while I was at it.

In my lurkings, I visited Priape ( which in my head sounds like pre-op, as in trannies), but no it was the gay men's store to end all gay men's stores. I tried to appear cool and unphased by the bowling ball sized butt plugs and gas masks hanging on the wall. Let's just say, Seattle didn't adequately prepare me for what I saw.

My next, not so frightening, stop was at Morningstar. This emporium of Indian and Middle Eastern home furnishing that I instantly charged with providing the furnishing for  my Canadian apartment when I finally get one. I saw little gold statues of Buddha, and instantly thought of Martha and Doris discussing the 'Buddhist Jesus' hanging on Doris's wall. I was squeezing a deep purple floor poof, when I thought to myself is this place called "Morningwood" because that would just be unfortunate.Thank goodness,it's not!

In all of this window shopping, I ended up at Yonge  and Dundas. There is nothing like a huge arena sized television screen in the middle of the city playing a soap opera with subtitles. I nearly ran back to Church Street, oh sweet relief.

I made my way to an oldy, but goody for dinner, The Old Spaghetti Factory. Now I realize that going to OSF when in Toronto is like going to McDonald's when you're in India,  but I'm no Anthony Bourdain. And I did go to McDonald's when I was in Delhi because I really wanted a McFlurry! :) The meal was rather so-so, but I can blame the pasta craving on watching 'Eat,Pray,Love' on the flight over. Best part of the meal however was the Big Wheel Deluxe, which the waiter told me was less then popular considering it was made in Toronto. Of course, I had to investigate and there was a distinct tangy bite to it but very crisp and it didn't sit in my mouth like some over done ales I've had in the past.

So on that note, I will avoid overdoing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment