Thursday, December 9, 2010

Toronto Day One: M. Night Schlong's " The Gay Village"

Hey, guess what? Canada is cold!  Stepping out of the airport and into the crisp Canadian air felt more like stepping from the modern era to the last ice age. I quickly bundled up, and waited for my express bus to downtown Toronto to arrive.

Travel Suggestion #1: Purchase a express bus ticket from the Toronto Pearson Intl. Airport to Downtown Toronto on your flight, especially if you are staying downtown. Discount tickets for students are about $17, and are more than worth it. 

Staying at the HI-Toronto, which is very clean and the staff is really nice. Especially the women! :) My first and I suppose only goal for the evening was to find the gays! Well, after a half an hour walk in -20 degree wind chill, I found them!! A couple blocks of flashy signage make up the Church-Wellesley Village, and then it occured to me that I was walking on gay holy ground. Toronto was the backdrop for Showtime's Queer As Folk for five season's and many of the bars those guys frequented are bars on Church Street. One of which being Woody's.

I fell in love when the bartender called me "baby", and I was allowed to enjoy a beer and read the Now Toronto interview with Natalie Portman! 

Travel Suggestion #2: Canadian beer is strong, especially if you're tired. So be careful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment